Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Great Outdoors

Sometimes, you just gotta get outside. Recently the weather here has been less than ideal - 15 degrees and rain, anyone? So we have been cooped up inside a liiiiittle too much and frankly, it's sending me mad. Last week I took Heike to the shopping centre to "play". Admittedly it was one of those with an indoor kids play area but REALLY?!?! I'm losing respect for myself.

A few weeks back we purchased a Tatonka hiking backpack on Gumtree for $70. Barely used and in perfect condition, it was a bargain I couldn't wait to use. My other half was less convinced and the last few weekends have seen me trying to invent reasons to go places with the backpack - difficult in the previously mentioned weather conditions.

This past weekend we scored members tickets to the Swans game - the perfect location for baby backpack wearing! Justus was dubious but as soon as he put the backpack on and heard Heike's squeals of delight, the shift from sceptic to convert was evident in his face. The comfort, the convenience, the novelty! It quickly became his new favourite baby item.

Thus when we woke on Sunday morning to SUNSHINE and the internet told us my soccer game was CANCELLED anyway, we decided we would GET OUTSIDE and use the magical BACKPACK. We drove to Camp Cove, otherwise known as the most beautiful place in Sydney, and set out for a walk around south head and then back to Watsons Bay for lunch.

It sounds trite but the warm sun on our faces did wonders for our mood, as did walking past a nudist beach full of sixty year old sun worshippers naked in the middle of winter. Perhaps weeks of grey have altered my perceptions but I swear I have never seen the water such a perfect shade of aqua, never seen it glitter quite so prettily under the sun's rays.

Heike was an angel baby for the day (as always but she loved the backpack) and Justus my Leo Lion was at his sunshiney best. Even I didn't complain about walking a little further than planned or waiting 30 minutes for lunch. It was a timely reminder of the importance of fresh air and sun to well being and the truly healing powers of nature.

Cherubs


Z xx


No comments:

Post a Comment