Pages

Friday, February 7, 2014

Managing Pregnancy Pelvic Pain

When I was pregnant with H I suffered from debilitating pelvic pain from about 18 or 19 weeks. It was more painful than you'd imagine if you hadn't experienced it, but the help of a good physio and great pilates got me through to the end.

This time around, I really wanted to avoid what happened the first time and enrolled in pilates with a physio fairly early in the pregnancy. I've had the odd niggle in my pelvis but most of my pain has been in my upper back this time around, until this week.

On Sunday I went for a long walk and could feel that things were sensitive when I got home. I bent to take off my sock and, ping, something went on me in the glute/pelvis area. I've suffered with it all week until last night, true disaster struck. All it took was sitting on the lounge the wrong way, and it felt like something collapsed in my pelvis. It was so painful I cried out and then started sobbing when I couldn't move out of the one position, which had J running in thinking I was in labour! I had to see a physio, stat.

So, I saw a physio today (not my usual as I couldn't get in) and feel amazing and was inspired to write my top tips for managing pregnancy pelvic pain, just in case anyone else is struggling and wants some immediate advice.

Anyway, in my experience:

1) Physio, physio, physio. Not chiro. Physio! Find a great women's health physio and book in ASAP - they are amazing. Every physio I've ever met is really passionate about what they do and practices what they preach. Most physios will evaluate the problem and do some kind of work on the area (crazy painful but amazing massages) and put a treatment plan in place.

2) Start being really aware of putting weight on one particular leg. Sit down to put jeans on, sit down to shave your legs. Long walks and strokes like breaststroke can put unnecessary pressure on your pelvis. 

3) Pregnancy pilates. If possible, do this in a class run by a physio, or even one on one with a physio, who can tailor exercises specifically to your condition. As always, prevention is the best cure - I would recommend that any newly pregnant woman enroll in some kind of pregnancy specific exercise class, but am pretty biased towards pilates because it's really helped me both times.

4) Invest in a pelvic support belt. I found this provided me with so much added support and, in turn, comfort. If possible, borrow one from a friend and take it along to your physio. Physios do say not to use one prior to assessment as you may not need one, but I think if you try walking with and without the belt and can feel a noticeable difference, you probably should be wearing one and can get some instant relief.

5) Use this as an excuse to relax! It may be your last chance for some time. I am enjoying some guilt free time on the couch, right now.

Pretty simple advice but I'm sure it could be helpful to someone. Trust me, if you've got full on pelvic pain I completely understand what you are going through and it's not pleasant. I've given birth so I have an excellent reference for pain and hey, pelvic pain is up there!

Z x

No comments:

Post a Comment