Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Healthy-er Raspberry White Choc Muffins

I rarely share recipes because I am so uber-critical of my own cooking but I am always on the lookout for anything remotely healthy that tastes good and my two year old will eat. Such recipes are incredibly rare (seriously, help me out - ideally with hidden veg!).

Despite it being 28+ degrees today and about 100 degrees in my west-facing kitchen, I was craving muffins. What can I say, I'm 34 weeks pregnant. I also had oodles of white chocolate in the cupboard after J bought me three kinds last time I made a cheesecake, terrified of getting the wrong sort. So I knew I wanted to make muffins that included white chocolate.

My mind immediately jumped to my favourite Donna Hay Raspberry and White Choc muffins, but I didn't want to make something quite so sweet. I'd like to be able to share them with H without feeling like a call from DOCS is imminent.

So, I fiddled around with the recipe a little and they turned out GREAT! They are seriously so delicious, I would never make them the traditional way again.

Healthier Raspberry & White Choc Muffins

2 cups wholemeal flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup coconut sugar*
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon lemon rind
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup chopped white chocolate
1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries**

* Coconut sugar is available from most health food stores and contains mostly low GI sucrose as opposed to high GI fructose.
** I didn't have enough raspberries so used a raspberry/blueberry combo - you could use any berries.

Method:

1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2) Mix dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder) into a large bowl. Whisk wet ingredients into a separate bowl.
3) Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined.
4) Add white chocolate and berries and spoon mixture into prepared muffin tin lined with baking paper or muffin cases.
5) Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

Icing sugar purely decorative and diminishes health benefits!


Yum

The lemon rind and sour cream give these muffins a nice tart flavour to counteract any sweetness while keeping them nice and moist. Funnily enough H picked the white chocolate out so they were even healthier for her! I am thinking of trying a non-dairy version of this where I use coconut flour instead of wholemeal, coconut milk instead of sour cream and dessicated coconut instead of chocolate. Can't wait to see how they turn out!

Z x

No comments:

Post a Comment