Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

The Sound Of Music

How many structured activities can an 8 month old possibly do? Heaps, according to the internet! And me, who has signed Heike up for swimming lessons, Gymbaroo, music classes and the odd (free) baby bounce session at the local library.

People generally scoff when I say things like "Oh I'm really busy today, we have babyroo and then a playdate at the park" because, let's face it, my child doesn't walk or talk. But when I originally put our names down for all this fun I was thinking more of myself than Heike - how many hours of entertaining each day can I personally be responsible for, and how many hours of one on one time talking to someone who doesn't talk back can I take before my mental stability is jeopardised? Not many, folks, not many.

Nevertheless I have been pleasantly surprised by some of the activities (I'm not looking at you swimming lessons) and how great they are for Heike's development and general endorphin levels. When we walk into Gymbaroo, Heike literally screams with delight. She looks around the room with a giant smile on her face and screams. Then shrieks. Then squeals. Then screams again. Interestingly the lady at Gymbaroo described Heike as "the most vocal baby she's ever met" but that's another story.

But music has been fabulous too. I'm especially impressed with the instructor who can only be in his early twenties and plays the guitar and sings to tiny babies who are generally more interested in pulling his hair or sucking on his fingers. I don't know many 20-something men who could pull it off with a smile on their face each week (even though the babies are really cute). They do very simple activities that introduce them to the concept of different notes, instruments etc. in a really fun and interactive way. Heike loves it and it is something we plan to continue with as she moves up through the age groups.

We do the lessons through a company called Einsteinz Music, who run programs for kids ages 6 months to 5 years. Check them out here.

We are off to music today and looking forward to it! Hopefully Heike doesn't scream the house down with happiness (she also screamed at music last week, lots) because even though everyone else finds it very funny and endearing, Mummy is somewhat concerned for her ear drums. 

Z xx


No comments:

Post a Comment