Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Box Fresh

While shopping with a nine month old is by no means as difficult as shopping with a newborn, it still ain't easy - particularly if your particular breed of nine month old can be sitting happily in the trolley seat one minute and be found with a bunch of rosemary in their mouth the next.

I tried Woolworths online once and while it was good for the basics, it was rubbish for the fruit and veg. I ended up with all the bruised apples, mouldy strawberries and floury tomatoes that I've become so good at weeding out over many years of training.

Recently, a friend put me onto a gem of a site called Box Fresh - you can check them out here. The basic idea is that you order roughly the quantity of fruit and veg you need for a week and they deliver you a box of what's in season, direct from the markets.

I suppose the downside is that you can't choose what you get, but personally I love this because if there's one thing I hate more than grocery shopping it's deciding what to cook. In fact this exact issue is often the cause of arguments in our household as I'm incredibly indecisive and this annoys my decisive husband so much that he refuses to make decisions, leading to stubborn cold wars in which NO ONE will dare utter what they feel like for dinner. Mature, I know.

Anyway the other FAB thing about Box Fresh is they offer special "Mum and Baby" boxes, where they throw in a little extra of the stuff bubs love to eat - potatoes, carrots, broccoli, pears etc. So you're not stuck with loads of capsicums and chilli's and ginger and other delicious stuff babies won't eat.

I ordered from Box Fresh this week for only the second time, but it made me wonder why I don't do it more often - in future, I will! A small Mum and Baby box had my fridge looking pretty stocked, but a regular probably wouldn't go astray in families that go through lots of fresh food or like to cook extra and freeze (both things I would like to say about myself but, alas, I am flawed).

Check out my fridge homies!

Another idea a friend had was to chuck any leftover vegies into a pot with some stock and herbs at the end of each week and voila - a healthy and delicious soup. Again, I probably won't do this but I'm just throwing it out there for the frugal and organised amongst you.

Stay fresh! (ha)

Z xx

No comments:

Post a Comment