Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Baby Turns One!

Two days ago my little girl turned one - a fairly emotional and meaningful day for the parents as much as it is a milestone for the child. It's quite possible that I walked into Heike's room the morning of her birthday and sobbed "You're one!!!" before breaking down in tears. Quite possible indeed.

Anyway, because Justus had to be away on business on her actual birthday, we had a party two days before on a sunny Saturday afternoon. I decided to have the party at home because, well, I'm mad, and we also invited all her friends from mother's group just to further emphasize my insanity. All in all there were about 30 or so adults and 12 or so kids and I needed about 50 or so drinks afterwards.

Whenever I have any kind of celebration I like to do it right, making sure everything reflects my personal style and taste. This can make me fairly painful to be around in the lead up to any kind of event. Think screaming, hyperventilating and even the odd spot of violence (usually inflicted upon kitchen cupboards and utensils and rarely upon my husband).

My current/lifelong obsession is all things vintage with a modern twist. I put together a kind of mood board for the party using Pinterest, which I think is fantastic for this kind of thing and I'm currently using for my bedroom overhaul. When I worked out the look I wanted - girly, vintage, cutesy yet classic (try explaining this to your husband) - I set to work planning.

I bought loads of decorations on an Australian site, larkmade.com.au - their prices are reasonable, shipping is free, delivery fast and the range amazing. I also made my own bunting, which was easy to do using colored paper and twine - I used some on the cake and the rest on our front gate.

I decided to make a cake I found in this year's Donna Hay kids magazine (Annual 9). I am probably the hugest fan of Donna Hay ever (probably not ever but it sounds good) - her recipes are simple and tasty and her food is always styled beautifully. She also has a gorgeous little overpriced shop in Woollahra where you can buy gorgeous little overpriced kitchen wares (my favorite kind of wares). The "rainbow" cake was essentially a multi layer butter cake full of sprinkles, but it tasted lovely and was a hit. I made a practice cake the week before, which I recommend as I ended up cooking the cakes for around 10 minutes less than the instructions suggested.





Anyway, I thought I'd share some photos of how it turned out, taken by my lovely friend Toz. I'm bummed I didn't get any photos of the inside of the cake but it looked pretty much like it did in the magazine (ha!!). I changed the outside because I decided the ombré icing was a bit too girly and potentially risky as it flopped on the practice version.

Cups, straws and plates from larkmade.com.au - vintage place settings from local markets



My cake (and fairy cakes by my Mum!)


The kids table - flowers bought by my dear hubby on the day



Our beautiful girl x

It was a lovely day and one we will always remember and can share with Heike through stories and photographs. While I was fairly stressed in the lead up and may have exclaimed "NO MORE PARTIES!" at one point, let's face it, we'll be doing it all again next year.

Z xx

No comments:

Post a Comment