Pages

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Grandparents

We've just returned from a CHILD FREE (not counting the one in my tummy) weekend in Melbourne, where we saw both finals of the Australian Open. We're not huge sports fanatics in our house but tennis is one sport we both enjoy watching AND playing, and we've always talked about going to the open. This year we decided to make a "babymoon" of it, and leave H with my parents for the weekend. It was amazing and we are already dreaming about doing it again next year.

But anyway, grandparents. While I'm still a young Mum myself I've always thought being a grandparent must be amazing, even pre-parenthood when reflecting on my relationship with my own Grandma and Grandpa. You get all the benefits of parenthood - seeing your genes passed on, the overwhelming, unconditional love, the joy of young children - without any of the stress of actual parenting. You're allowed to give them chocolate and put them in front of the TV because hey, they're not your child. And you want to be the favourite.

Obviously the greater responsibility and effort involved in parenting means the rewards are magnified, but once you've gone through all that you get to, one day, be a grandparent. That's surely the ultimate reward.

H is head over heels in love with her grandparents, and obviously the feeling is pretty mutual. While they do shower her with affection and sugar, they don't spoil her and she knows there are certain rules when she's at their house - and unlike with me, she doesn't try to test them. She is the best version of herself when she stays there and always makes me very proud.

The feeling I'm always left with as we drive away, though, is that I wish we lived closer to them. I'm pretty lucky compared to some as my parents only live two hours away, but they also both work full time and often on weekends as they're both nurses, so it's not always convenient for us to visit. J's parents live in Germany and had 13 grandchildren before H came along, so they're not really in our lives as much as we'd like.

I do (very) often feel envious of people who can drop over to their Mum's place for a cup of tea a few afternoons a week, but luckily living in the heart of Sydney there are lots of other women in my situation, many with parents who are a long-haul flight away. So we always have each other! I also think the times when we do see each other are extra special because of the gaps in between.

So, here's to grandparents and the amazing relationships you have with our children! Where would we be without you?!

Z x


No comments:

Post a Comment