Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

10 Things To Know About Montessori via Sixtine et Victoire

One of the fabulous blogs I try to keep up with is Sixtine et Victoire, the project of Deb who is a creative and stylish Montessori Mum to her two girls - Sixtine and Victoire. I am still a completely hopeless "Montessori Mum" but aim to keep learning. My husband is still advocating the Steiner point of view, which he was strictly brought up in, so who knows where we will end up. (The two philosophies are actually really different, but in my typical fence sitting fashion I can see the appeal of both).



Still, I find reading about Montessori's methods and findings incredibly interesting, and often helpful when it comes to questions of behaviour or activities. Montessori is a great starting point when looking for toddler activities that are both fun AND educational. And I get a lot out of the PTP program we attend.



Anyway, today I came across this post on Sixtine et Victoire, written by guest blogger Anne from Itty Bitty Love. I found it really put the whole Montessori approach into words better than I ever could. Definitely give it a read if you are interested in learning more about Montessori education!


Obviously it would be really challenging to be the perfect Montessori parent all the time. In fact, I don't think it would be good for anyone - too much of anything tends to make you less relaxed and less able to deal with the curve balls that small children will inevitably throw at you. But in terms of organising your home, reasoning and interacting with your toddler and setting up age appropriate learning activities, there is lots to learn from this approach.


Whether it is "right" for your child is another story - I'm actually really thinking through whether it is right for mine at the moment. But more on that another time.


Happy reading!


Z x

No comments:

Post a Comment