Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

We're Melting...

Australia is suffering through record breaking heatwaves at the moment, with the south east areas around Melbourne and Adelaide fighting extreme bushfires on top of 40C+ temperatures. Here in Sydney we've had it a little easier with five or so days of around 30 by the coast, but given I'm seven months pregnant I feel that equates to about 40 for me.

I find the afternoons the hardest, chiefly because our house is West facing so our backyard and main living areas cop intense afternoon sun. This includes our bedroom, which is also upstairs so just generally hotter, but thankfully has airconditioning. H and I have been spending most afternoons either at the beach or in her bedroom, which is at the front of the house and is lovely and dark and airy.

This morning we had to meet my aunt in the city, so I took the opportunity to visit the new Prince Alfred Park Pool in Surry Hills. I'd been once before with a friend and enjoyed it, so I was keen to try it out again.

What can I say, I love this pool! There's just something about it, an energy, plus it's all clean and new. There are healthy options at the cafe, Campos coffee and ice blocks made from real fruit. The shaded kiddie area looks very basic - just a number of fountains - but keeps kids entertained for ages without parents having to get wet. And the lap pool has disabled access, which is not only great from an accessibility point of view but means there is a large "shallow" ramp with a rail for kids to play on and around. We went to Leichhardt Park Aquatic centre earlier in the week and I have to say, we both had a better time at Prince Alfred Park.

Aside from the pool, there is also a modern, expansive park and playground right outside, which is great if you have a morning to fill. A lot of the play equipment is quite exposed which isn't so great for these hot days, but that's the case with many parks in Sydney I've found. For us the other bonus is the pool's location - just ten minutes from home and right outside J's work, I think it would be a great meeting place for a mid week dinner and swim.

Being submerged in cold water is really when I'm at my happiest lately! Heavily pregnant + summer is definitely interesting - and I still have eight weeks to go! How are you coping with the heat?

Z x

No comments:

Post a Comment