Pages

Monday, June 3, 2013

Monday Blues

My weekends have been so lovely lately. There's something pretty magical about nearly two year olds, and something even more magical about having my husband around when he works 12 hour days throughout the week. We're finally at the point where two people makes things twice as easy - we no longer trip over each other and argue about the right way to do things. Parenthood just flows.

So, our weekends have been full of sleep ins (one day each), cafe breakfasts, leisurely work around the house, long midday naps and dinner at the pub. Coffees, laughs, trips to the park. The kind of life I imagined when I decided I just HAD to have a baby.

There are two downsides to this new weekend bliss. Firstly, the weekends just fly. I mean, two days is simply NOT ENOUGH! Secondly, I have been experiencing CHRONIC cases of the Monday blues.

A couple of Mondays ago it was so bad, I was actually in tears on Monday morning. Okay, I'll be honest, I also had PMS and my jeans ripped across the backside while I was getting dressed for work, but these things only compounded my already awful depression over the fact that it was MONDAY and there were FIVE MORE DAYS until the weekend. Sob.

Because of this, I've had to employ some coping strategies to nip this blues in the bud. Some examples include:

- Making the most of Sunday. I've started staying up really late on Sunday night rather than my usual 8.30pm bed time, and messing around with music on my computer or other fun things. I've realised I don't have to write off Sunday night!
- Getting up nice and early on Monday morning, doing my hair and getting some work done so I can head to my exercise class once H is at daycare.
- Making the most of the fact that, while it is a work day, it is also a daycare day - having a long, leisurely breakfast over the paper and working over my lunch break to compensate.
- Making Monday a two coffee day (rather than my usual one).
- Being very organised and ready for Monday on Sunday is key. So, no arguments over who is doing drop off or pick up, what the daily schedule is like or what's for dinner. Oh, and no melt downs over what I'm going to wear!!
- Going easy on myself. It's okay to ease slowly into the week.

Knowing that the following Monday is a public holiday is also an excellent coping strategy. This happens about four times a year, but with that knowledge in mind, some Mondays (like this one) can be pretty easy to bear.

Z x

No comments:

Post a Comment